Sunday, December 14, 2008

Chemotherapy: Your Profit or Theirs?

What do we usually do when we get sick (particularly with cancer?) We go to the doctor, because they're the ones that have the answer to our problem, right? Well, you would think so, but as a matter of fact, they don't.

William Falloon is the founder of Life Extension, an organization that dedicates itself to researching the latest medicines that actually treat and beat cancer and other illnesses.

He told Suzanne Somers in her new book, Breakthrough, that chemotherapy is a huge money-maker for oncologists. In fact, when Falloon opened a medical center ( in which one of the objectives was "to treat cancer the right way" p. 78), he was not able to hire any oncologists, because "these doctors were looking to treat high-volume cases and administer lots of chemotherapy. In fact, the first thing they asked us was about their chemotherapy 'bonuses.' It turns out that a big part of these doctors' salaries comes in the form of how much chemotherapy they administer." (p. 78)

He also said that "when Life Extension tried to open a world-class cancer center in 2000, we had all these doctors telling us how much money we could make if we just set up the assembly line. We kept telling them, that's not why we are doing this. Interestingly, most of these doctors confidentially told us, 'If someone in my family had cancer, I would send them here.' That's how little confidence they had in their own practice." (p. 78)

If you would like to learn more about these life-saving technologies, I would highly recommend that you take a look at William Falloon's website here.

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to take the time to thank you for being a regular visitor on my blog. I saw that you added me to your "followers" list...and I just want you to know how honored and grateful that our paths have crossed in this way, and that I count it a privilege that you visit me. God Bless you! I will be visiting you often, now that we are friends!

    ReplyDelete